UK - Mistresses

UK - Mistresses (http://www.uk-mistresses.com/vBulletin/index.php)
-   Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity (http://www.uk-mistresses.com/vBulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   AOL as it used to be (http://www.uk-mistresses.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=6048)

bgx 06-08-2016 07:20

AOL as it used to be

I need advice please.

Many years ago I signed up with AOL (now Talk Talk) as my internet service provider. The original 12 month plan expired years ago and I was happy to be on a month to month contract with them.

On Monday, I will be finished with them and will have SKY as my new internet service provider.

According to SKY, I simply replace the existing NETGEAR box with theirs and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt and everything should work.

Assuming that AOL have some programme embedded in my system, (windows 10) how can I ensure that I have removed all trace of AOL?

Geishagirl 06-08-2016 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgx (Post 59871)
I need advice please.

Many years ago I signed up with AOL (now Talk Talk) as my internet service provider. The original 12 month plan expired years ago and I was happy to be on a month to month contract with them.

On Monday, I will be finished with them and will have SKY as my new internet service provider.

According to SKY, I simply replace the existing NETGEAR box with theirs and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt and everything should work.

Assuming that AOL have some programme embedded in my system, (windows 10) how can I ensure that I have removed all trace of AOL?

No need to worry about AOL having access to your windows 10. Once you remove their NETGEAR box the system should automatically disable.
PS: Any provider only have access to your computer only when their box is connected.

Des 06-08-2016 10:59

You probably also have an aol email address that you probably don't want to lose imediately. Fear not. On some of their recent blurb they say that is now available, even if you are not with aol. It might be prudent however to check with aol/ TalkTalk to ensure you can access that email address easily, before you pull the plug.

bgx 06-08-2016 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geishagirl (Post 59875)
No need to worry about AOL having access to your windows 10. Once you remove their NETGEAR box the system should automatically disable.
PS: Any provider only have access to your computer only when their box is connected.

Thanks for that Geishagirl, I've checked the C drive and there appears to be no trace of any AOL components.

bgx 06-08-2016 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Des (Post 59881)
You probably also have an aol email address that you probably don't want to lose imediately. Fear not. On some of their recent blurb they say that is now available, even if you are not with aol. It might be prudent however to check with aol/ TalkTalk to ensure you can access that email address easily, before you pull the plug.

Thanks Des, Although I have 3 supposedly active AOL e mail addresses, I haven't used any of them for a few years now. I've only got my e mail@live.co.uk.