UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > Scene News and Product/Vendor Reviews > Product/Vendor Reviews

Old 27-12-2013, 11:30   #1
jon123

jon123 has a spectacular aura aboutjon123 has a spectacular aura about
Default History of the Dominatrix

This looks a good book to leave on a coffee table, on in a prominent place on your book shelf:

http://historyofthedominatrix.com/

It would have made a good Christmas present.

Or perhaps someone has received or given one?

Is it a good read?
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 16:06   #2
MrBromley

MrBromley is on a distinguished road

The blurb says it has been painstakingly researched. Makes me wonder just how much pain was involved!

It does mention that the author reviewed the rare books held by the British Library and talked to people like DDI magazine who have a wealth of material in their archives from the second half of the 20th century.

I think that there is a certain amount of hype here. It is being done as a small limited edition print run, and formatted to look like a rare book. Which makes it a bit more of a commercially approached venture than a serious historical work perhaps.

Always a bit dodgy if someone says 'No book previously existed on the subject'. 'The book was a big ask, with nothing having ever been written before on the topic, and starting from zero'.

There have been so many books about BDSM that this assertion is a big stretch. Even a quick look at Wikipedia will give you quite a lot of info. It certainly isn't starting from zero by any stretch of the imagination.

That said I have no reason to suspect that it is not well researched.

In the blog it says 'Many will be suprised to learn of the training which is involved to become a professional Dominatrix, which is typically 1-2 years'.

I get the impression that there are many prodommes who join the scene with a lot less that 1-2 years of training! So, it may be that some of the assertions in the book are looking at the scene a bit through rose-tinted spectacles.
Old 27-12-2013, 20:25   #3
subtle

subtle has a spectacular aura aboutsubtle has a spectacular aura about

There are some preview pages on the Amazon listing, which provide a bit more detail about the contents, plus a couple of glowing reviews already. It looks like an interesting piece of work - although I'm not convinced there's a very strong connection between the Sumerian Goddess Inanna and most modern Dommes. Or at least, there hasn't been, so far. Perhaps we're about to have a flood of Goddess Inannas across London any moment now

I agree with Mr. B about the hype. Curiously enough, Wikipedia's article on "Dominatrix" already contains quite a few references to the book...
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 22:54   #4
jo nep

jo nep will become famous soon enoughjo nep will become famous soon enough
Default History of the Diminatrix - Advertizing

I was interested to read a short article in my PD's members area recording how her advertising had change over the last 15 years.

I think the importance, in the context of history of the Dominatrix is that it catalogues the decline of the contact mags and, in the case of my PD, the ultimate demise this year of paper based advertizing from late 1990's to 2013.
jo nep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 08:59   #5
Entropy Tango

Entropy Tango will become famous soon enough

Hmmm... I've been waiting for this book to come out for many months, since first hearing about it on twitter.

However, when I look for it on Amazon, all I can find is a kindle edition. Has anyone got a link to the actual book?

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure-dome decree... and then along Alana came and put me o’er her knee!
www.nuts4r2.blogspot.com
Entropy Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 10:10   #6
subtle

subtle has a spectacular aura aboutsubtle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy Tango View Post
Hmmm... I've been waiting for this book to come out for many months, since first hearing about it on twitter.

However, when I look for it on Amazon, all I can find is a kindle edition. Has anyone got a link to the actual book?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Arts.../dp/0992701007
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 12:14   #7
geordiesouth

geordiesouth will become famous soon enoughgeordiesouth will become famous soon enough

£48............... My god that's a third of a session money.
Old 28-12-2013, 13:32   #8
Entropy Tango

Entropy Tango will become famous soon enough

Hi there.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, it's quite pricey, as a lot of books these days seem to be getting.

Not sure whether I can take the plunge or not. I'll have to think about it and hope that the price doesn't go up (which I suspect it will do... and quite quickly). Wanted to review it for my site.

Does anybody know of any actual "physical" walk in and buy one outlets in London that are stocking a copy of this?

I'm especially interested in any further information on the historical figure of Theresa Berkley other than the standard stuff you can find on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure-dome decree... and then along Alana came and put me o’er her knee!
www.nuts4r2.blogspot.com
Entropy Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 13:45   #9
ex nihilo

ex nihilo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
This looks a good book to leave on a coffee table, on in a prominent place on your book shelf:
I think it might be a bit heavy when she uses me as a coffee table. *Book shelf might work though!

* It's amazing what she manages to stack her books on...

Last edited by ex nihilo; 28-12-2013 at 13:58.
ex nihilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 19:55   #10
MrBromley

MrBromley is on a distinguished road

Looking at the 'look inside' on amazon it becomes clear that there are quite a lot of photos from the archives of DDI magazine and the copyright mentioned is theirs.

Of course if DDI own the copyright then they are within their rights to allow the republication of these photos in this book. But it does make me wonder if these ladies who probably retired from the scene many years ago ever bargained for having their photos published again all these years later. (That said, there's probably someone who has a old copy of the magazine, scanned them and uploaded them into tumblr or somewhere similar anyway).