UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > The Oubliette

Old 28-08-2018, 12:42   #11
Ogden McNit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty Rimmer View Post
I entirely agree.
Also, has anyone tried Jamie’s Jerk Rice ? I will allow for the possibility that this Butler woman may be vindicated if it tastes crap. Probably not though, because Jamie’s Jerk Chicken which he did a few years ago is an absolute blast of a meal. One of his best, and he doesn’t produce many duds anyway.
The BBC article linked in the OP states that it is a product rather than recipe, 'ready in one minute'*, and therefore it almost certainly does taste crap.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-648338-648339

I agree, his recipes are generally brill, and he does a lot of admirable campaigning as well, but I would avoid most of the stuff like this he puts his name to. No doubt it's a good money spinner for him, but questionable whether he ever opens a bag at home with Jools and the kids.

Also, rice can't be jerked and it doesn't even contain either of the two main ingredients needed to make a jerk; scotch bonnet chillies and allspice. I bet some food exec came up with the name and he just went along with it in order to make quick and easy money.

I think 'this Butler woman' actually makes a fair point, albeit on an extremely trivial matter. Her Twitter feed mostly addresses worthwhile causes and political issues of genuine importance. I don't really understand why Slutty and Barstool are so triggered by such an innocuous comment. 'Fascism dictating that cultures can't blend and borrow from one another'? 'you should only really speak when you have something of interest to say'?

WTF???

Seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.

*Although not sure if that's a 60 second minute, or a Jamie Oliver minute. Most of his 15 minute meal recipes take about three times that.

Last edited by Ogden McNit; 28-08-2018 at 12:48.
Old 28-08-2018, 13:27   #12
Slutty Rimmer

Slutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura aboutSlutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogden McNit View Post
The BBC article linked in the OP states that it is a product rather than recipe, 'ready in one minute'*, and therefore it almost certainly does taste crap.
I’ve just been in Waitrose on my lunch break. Although I almost never buy pre-cooked or processed food, at £2.35 a bag I thought it was worth a whirl.

I will have it tomorrow as a side dish when I do my bolognese omelette.

Should be intriguing*.

Kind Regards,
The Fireman.

* From the wisdom of children I have recently come to love the positive implication of the word ‘intriguing’. It is a good mindset with which to approach the unknown.

“You [Rimmer] are truly a master amongst masters...” Ex Nihilo, UK-M.

“Freedom only to speak inoffensivley is not worth having.”

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...e-judgment.pdf

“If a man can be a woman, there's no such thing as a woman.”

“LGBTQIA2S+ ? Everything after the B is either fake, fashion, or illness.”
Slutty Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 14:22   #13
Barstool

Barstool is on a distinguished road

Good luck with that Slutty, can I suggest a nice Chinese Beaujolais would go well.

I`m quite a fan of Jamies recipies, not so his restaurants or branded utensils, as to whether I was `so triggered` just responding to a post really...
Old 28-08-2018, 16:31   #14
Ogden McNit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool View Post
as to whether I was `so triggered` just responding to a post really...
Apologies Barstool, it's just that you and Slutty seemed a bit wound up about it. Relax. It's just a young black woman sharing her opinion on some rice on the internet. You're allowed to disagree. Civilisation is not under threat and it definitely isn't Fascism in any shape or form. Just an opinion. About rice.

And it's also worth remembering that it's not compulsory to read Twitter or the BBC website. In fact, in Slutty's case they may be best avoided if you regularly don't like what you read there?

Just a thought.

I read some good advice recently. On Twitter funnily enough;

“When anger trawls the internet, Looking for a hook; It’s time to disconnect, And go and read a book.”
Old 28-08-2018, 20:12   #15
Slutty Rimmer

Slutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura aboutSlutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura about
Default Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but...

Quote:
Apologies Barstool, it's just that you and Slutty seemed a bit wound up about it. Relax. It's just a young black woman sharing her opinion on some rice on the internet. You're allowed to disagree. Civilisation is not under threat and it definitely isn't Fascism in any shape or form. Just an opinion. About rice.

And it's also worth remembering that it's not compulsory to read Twitter or the BBC website. In fact, in Slutty's case they may be best avoided if you regularly don't like what you read there?

Just a thought.

I read some good advice recently. On Twitter funnily enough;

“When anger trawls the internet, Looking for a hook; It’s time to disconnect, And go and read a book.”
There is no anger here, only a sense of duty and obligation, and a liking for free discussion and debate (which this board manages very well).

Given that the BBC and our MP’s are publicly funded bodies then as someone who unwillingly pays more than average (mean, median, and mode) for their dubious services I feel it only fair that I occasionally give them a public appraisal on how they are performing. I’ve paid the brass up front, we all have. The BBC must try harder and needs to at least attempt to meet it’s original aims*. The MP’s are beyond help, no hope for them.

Ironic, isn’t it though, how these publicly funded politically correct organisations and their apologists get so uppity when a paying client criticises their work...but I suppose that is the trouble with hardened PCers, ‘they just don’t understand English irony’. Which is in itself ironic.

It would be better if the BBC went nopay-per-noview.

As for Tw*tter, I just don’t engage with it anymore. In fact the first thing I do when buying a new i-phone or i-pad is to remove the App. It would be beneficial if the BBC journalists did likewise then we wouldn’t have to read the second hand** social media regurgitation that passes for reporting nowadays, whilst browsing or viewing what we have been forced to pay for.

Politically correct accusation of cultural appropriation is not ‘just an opinion about rice’, it is political dog-whistle fascism, not cooking. Why else would it be reported if it was just somebody’s personal dislike of a supermarket rice dish ? However, now that she has managed to segragate people further and turn jerk rice into a hot topic (!), a bit akin to the Lilliputians, we here perhaps should see if we can’t instead have a nice discussion about either gas or cheese, as Barstool suggested. Although I do have another culinary controversial topic queued up...

P.S. I could not resist trying Jamie’s Jerk Rice and had it tonight with a Lancashire hot pot and a glass of vintage Rioja. I know, even with me being Yorkshire bred that is less cultural appropriation and more a cultural car crash. The rice though was actually very nice indeed, and definitely had that Caribbean influence, and there was no rubbish in the ingredients. He has obviously just used ‘Jerk’ as being synonymous with ‘Caribbean’. Next time I do his jerk chicken it may be less hassle to have a pack of the jerk rice rather than also do the rice n peas he suggests in the recipe. Another Jamie winner.

Keep going fella, keep going.

Kind Regards,
The Fireman.

* I’m not totally averse to their output. A Question of Sport, and This Week with Andrew Neil are always worth a watch. Ohh, and during the Summer they did a surprisingly engaging and enriching documentary on Germaine Greer. Now there is a woman that I have admired for a long time. Irascible, intelligent, and hard thinking she isn’t afraid to speak her mind to anyone. She rightly rejects the accusation of being a feminist, and in an age of snowflakes she shows real courage and has quite a sizeable pair of balls. As she says herself of the current state of social media affairs...”It’s all bollocks anyway”.

I’ve thought the same for a long time, it is indeed all bollocks.

** When you think about it, all news is at least second hand. First hand is the actual experience of the moment, second hand starts when that past experience is somehow formed into the bite sized chunk of personal narrative that fits within the limitations of whatever medium. Some mediums have higher bandwidth than others. Tw*tter has little more resolution than semaphore virtue signalling with flags.

Last edited by Slutty Rimmer; 02-09-2018 at 01:06.
Old 28-08-2018, 21:14   #16
Ogden McNit

Quote:
Ironic, isn’t it though, how these publicly funded politically correct organisations and their apologists get so uppity when a paying client criticises their work
But you choose to be a paying customer. It's not compulsory. You sound like a 2018 version of Mary Whitehouse, or someone who would write into Points of View every week. I'm no fan or apologist of the BBC for very different reasons to you, but can't help feeling they have an impossible task trying to please everyone in the current polarised climate. Of course they are going to seem 'politically correct' to people like you and Barstool. Like it or not though, they have a duty to be inclusive and cater to the tastes of all licence fee payers, and not just white males over 50.
Old 28-08-2018, 21:22   #17
Slutty Rimmer

Quote:
But you choose to be a paying customer. It's not compulsory. You sound like a 2018 version of Mary Whitehouse, or someone who would write into Points of View every week. I'm no fan or apologist of the BBC for very different reasons to you, but can't help feeling they have an impossible task trying to please everyone in the current polarised climate. Of course they are going to seem 'politically correct' to people like you and Barstool. Like it or not though, they have a duty to be inclusive and cater to the tastes of all licence fee payers, and not just white males over 50.
I do not choose to be a paying customer, because it is compulsory if I want to have a flat screen TV in the corner of my room in order to watch Amazon Prime or Eurosport, which I do choose to pay for. Do the BBC then partially fund Amazon and Eurosport ?

How do I get a refund ?

A depressing comment that Michael Palin has taken offence at when the head of BBC Comedy recently said that Monty Python would never be commissioned today because it was the product of white Oxbridge males. Nothing to do with intelligence, quality, genius and humour then ? So long as the quotas are manipulated. That must go someway to explaining the lasting soar away international success of errrr....errrr....Citizen Kahn ?

If you are managing to offend Michael Palin then you really do need to take a long hard look at what you are trying to do.

Kind Regards,
The Fireman.

Last edited by Slutty Rimmer; 28-08-2018 at 21:41.
Old 28-08-2018, 21:59   #18
Ogden McNit

Quote:
I do not choose to be a paying customer, because it is compulsory if I want to have a flat screen TV in the corner of my room in order to watch Amazon Prime or Eurosport, which I do choose to pay for. Do the BBC then partially fund Amazon and Eurosport ?

How do I get a refund ?
There are definitely ways around your problem. I think asking for a refund might be a bit cheeky though if you've been regularly enjoying episodes of Question of Sport and perusing the news section of the website on a daily basis.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/24/how-t...gally-6403889/

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...V-licence.html

Quote:
A depressing comment that Michael Palin has taken offence at when the head of BBC Comedy recently said that Monty Python would never be commissioned today because it was the product of white Oxbridge males. Nothing to do with intelligence, quality, genius and humour then ? That must go someway to explaining the lasting soar away international success of errrr....errrr....Citizen Kahn ?

If you are managing to offend Michael Palin then you really do need to take a long hard look at what you are trying to do.
Devastating. The plight of white, Oxbridge males often keeps me awake at night too. As everyone knows, they're famously under-represented in politics, media, arts, positions of power and the BBC.
Old 28-08-2018, 22:39   #19
Slutty Rimmer

Quote:
think asking for a refund might be a bit cheeky though if you've been regularly enjoying episodes of Question of Sport and perusing the news section of the website on a daily basis.
True enough, which is why pay-per-view would work well for the meagre pickings that are now available.

Mind you, I would pay quite a good subscription if they got back to what they do best, and also kept up the integrity and quality that was achieved in Wolf Hall. It was an enthralling study of how the pendulum of power never stops swinging. Very compelling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gj3tp

I must buy the series on VHS and watch it again at leisure. Now, that really is ironic, having already paid for it once.

Kind Regards,
The Fireman.

Last edited by Slutty Rimmer; 28-08-2018 at 23:03.
Old 30-08-2018, 07:52   #20
geordiesouth

geordiesouth will become famous soon enoughgeordiesouth will become famous soon enough

If you need something to watch those tapes on. I’ve got just the thing. It’s one of the BETA models too.