UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > Scene News and Product/Vendor Reviews > Event Reviews

Old 22-12-2012, 19:55   #1
tallpaul69

tallpaul69 is on a distinguished road
Default Richard III

If you're in London anytime between now and February 9th this has got to be the best Shakespeare to have graced the West End for many a long year and worth virtually any trouble to get tickets

No psychological reworking of the play to make R3 into Julie Andrews,no setting in contemporary Latin America,no over wrought set design just pure double espresso strength Bard with three sugars.

Mark Rylance is simply mesmeric as the eponymous anti hero from (and .....curiously before....the start).

His way with the text is ruthless in its clarity .

Ever listened to the pointless versions of "Now is the Winter".......that every ham who has ever trod a board traduces without meaning?......ever wondered why the words sound familiar,the timing predictable but the whole thing is gobbledygook?-then go and see Rylance's crystalline reading and the whole thing clicks into place with awesome precision.The first five minutes are an utter revelation and the rest of the play likewise.

First class supporting cast and music woven tight into the performance.Gorgeously economical set.The entire evening is a procession of theatrical delight.

The cast are "back to backing" with "Twelfth night" (God knows if Rylance will make it to February or die in the process -he looks so utterly shattered)

If you are lucky enough to get tickets get there 45 minutes early and get seated the moment the auditorium is opened to get a theatrical appetiser so obvious but so satisfying you'll be half way to the 16th Century before a word is spoken.

The kind of defining production that will still be talked about in 10 years time
tallpaul69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 20:17   #2
Mistress Susannah

Mistress Susannah will become famous soon enoughMistress Susannah will become famous soon enough

Wow that does sound wonderful. I love Mark Rylance and his verse speaking is sublime. I doubt I'll get to see it - but I'll try my best after that review!
Mistress Susannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 21:01   #3
tallpaul69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Susannah View Post
Wow that does sound wonderful. I love Mark Rylance and his verse speaking is sublime. I doubt I'll get to see it - but I'll try my best after that review!
....could you learn the Sackbut over the weekend and offer to deputise?

Its the only Shakespeare I've ever seen where the orchestra is woven so tightly into the whole thing AND looks to be having a damn fine time into the bargain
Old 23-12-2012, 13:04   #4
Mistress Susannah

Mistress Susannah will become famous soon enoughMistress Susannah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul69 View Post
....could you learn the Sackbut over the weekend and offer to deputise?

Its the only Shakespeare I've ever seen where the orchestra is woven so tightly into the whole thing AND looks to be having a damn fine time into the bargain
You've been watching the wrong stuff!
Mistress Susannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 16:20   #5
tallpaul69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Susannah View Post
You've been watching the wrong stuff!
.....but you would say that....wouldn't you?