UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 10-10-2009, 21:29   #1
mikeyports

mikeyports will become famous soon enough
Default dvd copy

My dad has a dvd with home videos on it and when he gos to copy it it says cycle redundancy check failed about 85 percent compleate.

the dvd plays fine but can`t copy.

And just to stress this is a home movie dvd made at home no copyright so think its a dvd error but strange that it plays ok.

Any help please

[live life and have a beautiful ending

https://twitter.com/Elainasslut
mikeyports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 22:09   #2
ropeslave

ropeslave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My dad has a dvd with home videos on it and when he gos to copy it it says cycle redundancy check failed about 85 percent compleate.

the dvd plays fine but can`t copy.

And just to stress this is a home movie dvd made at home no copyright so think its a dvd error but strange that it plays ok.

Any help please
Short answer is that when he originally copied them, the file was copied incorrectly onto the blank disc, 9 times out 10 they will not play or will not copy.

The long answer from http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cy...edundancy.html

There are plenty of technical resources on the Web that discuss cyclic redundancy checks (CRCs). Most times you won't need to worry about this technobabble. That is, until one it day it suddenly appears and you think - what the hell does that mean? In simple terms, a CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is lost forever. When data is transfered, it is usually in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the source and arrives at its destination, the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.
The most common time you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

Less frequent causes are the result of system crashes, and buggy software (hello Microsoft), incomplete downloads (often identified by the misleading message 'This is not a valid Windows file', 'This is not a valid win32 application' or 'Corrupt Zip file'). If this problem happens frequently with downloads, try using a download manager.

For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

Ropeslave

ropeslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 22:15   #3
mikeyports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropeslave View Post
Short answer is that when he originally copied them, the file was copied incorrectly onto the blank disc, 9 times out 10 they will not play or will not copy.

The long answer from http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cy...edundancy.html

There are plenty of technical resources on the Web that discuss cyclic redundancy checks (CRCs). Most times you won't need to worry about this technobabble. That is, until one it day it suddenly appears and you think - what the hell does that mean? In simple terms, a CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is lost forever. When data is transfered, it is usually in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the source and arrives at its destination, the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.
The most common time you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

Less frequent causes are the result of system crashes, and buggy software (hello Microsoft), incomplete downloads (often identified by the misleading message 'This is not a valid Windows file', 'This is not a valid win32 application' or 'Corrupt Zip file'). If this problem happens frequently with downloads, try using a download manager.

For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

Ropeslave

Thanks rope slave I will try what you said thanks again

Old 11-10-2009, 12:29   #4
whaplodeposh

whaplodeposh is on a distinguished road

can you make a copy of the disc onto your hard drive then burn it onto a cd from that mikey?

also i had this trouble with different types of dvd discs + and - as my dvd drive would only take one of these and would spit the dummy out on copying if i used the wrong sort

hope this helps
dav
whaplodeposh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:28   #5
posh-sub

posh-sub will become famous soon enoughposh-sub will become famous soon enough

[quote=whaplodeposh;1632]can you make a copy of the disc onto your hard drive then burn it onto a cd from that mikey?

I always use this procedure and it has never let me down.

Good luck Mikey ...

Peace & Love
poshie
posh-sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 15:40   #6
mikeyports

Thanks for your help all it won`t even copy to hard disk so dad will just have to look after it.

Old 24-10-2009, 07:02   #7
ropeslave

ropeslave is on a distinguished road

Hi

Look at trying some screen capture programmes this might work

ropeslave

ropeslave is offline   Reply With Quote