UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 06-08-2016, 07:20   #1
bgx

bgx will become famous soon enough
Default AOL as it used to be

I need advice please.

Many years ago I signed up with AOL (now Talk Talk) as my internet service provider. The original 12 month plan expired years ago and I was happy to be on a month to month contract with them.

On Monday, I will be finished with them and will have SKY as my new internet service provider.

According to SKY, I simply replace the existing NETGEAR box with theirs and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt and everything should work.

Assuming that AOL have some programme embedded in my system, (windows 10) how can I ensure that I have removed all trace of AOL?

MS BGX: Mistress Snakebite's operating system for BGX

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THE GEORDIE NATION

NO POT POURRI !
bgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43   #2
Geishagirl

Geishagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgx View Post
I need advice please.

Many years ago I signed up with AOL (now Talk Talk) as my internet service provider. The original 12 month plan expired years ago and I was happy to be on a month to month contract with them.

On Monday, I will be finished with them and will have SKY as my new internet service provider.

According to SKY, I simply replace the existing NETGEAR box with theirs and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt and everything should work.

Assuming that AOL have some programme embedded in my system, (windows 10) how can I ensure that I have removed all trace of AOL?
No need to worry about AOL having access to your windows 10. Once you remove their NETGEAR box the system should automatically disable.
PS: Any provider only have access to your computer only when their box is connected.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:59   #3
Des

Des is on a distinguished road

You probably also have an aol email address that you probably don't want to lose imediately. Fear not. On some of their recent blurb they say that is now available, even if you are not with aol. It might be prudent however to check with aol/ TalkTalk to ensure you can access that email address easily, before you pull the plug.
Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 14:41   #4
bgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geishagirl View Post
No need to worry about AOL having access to your windows 10. Once you remove their NETGEAR box the system should automatically disable.
PS: Any provider only have access to your computer only when their box is connected.
Thanks for that Geishagirl, I've checked the C drive and there appears to be no trace of any AOL components.

NO POT POURRI !
Old 06-08-2016, 14:44   #5
bgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
You probably also have an aol email address that you probably don't want to lose imediately. Fear not. On some of their recent blurb they say that is now available, even if you are not with aol. It might be prudent however to check with aol/ TalkTalk to ensure you can access that email address easily, before you pull the plug.
Thanks Des, Although I have 3 supposedly active AOL e mail addresses, I haven't used any of them for a few years now. I've only got my e mail@live.co.uk.

NO POT POURRI !