UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 25-02-2011, 17:18   #11
reefknot

If you decide on the make model etc of the PC or laptop then do a tinternet search, you may find it cheaper to buy on-line than at PCWorld (aka Currys) even they sometime offer things cheaper to buy on-line an pick up at store Amazon, Dabs etc may be worth looking at
Old 25-02-2011, 17:58   #12
ex nihilo

ex nihilo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefknot View Post
If you decide on the make model etc of the PC or laptop then do a tinternet search, you may find it cheaper to buy on-line than at PCWorld (aka Currys) even they sometime offer things cheaper to buy on-line an pick up at store Amazon, Dabs etc may be worth looking at
Can't go wrong with John Lewis who offer software installation and file transfers as part of the service and are there when you need post sales support.

I don't favour the cheap online, service to heck route. It's your computer and a relevant part of your life
Old 25-02-2011, 21:02   #13
electrocbtslave

electrocbtslave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisal View Post
At least you don't

Rapier wit

Well.......... bit of wood with a nail in
electrocbtslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 07:43   #14
Lisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocbtslave View Post

Rapier wit

Well.......... bit of wood with a nail in
Subtlety doesn't work with numquata

Old 26-02-2011, 09:25   #15
bgx

bgx will become famous soon enough

Lisal, I have an e machines 2220 from PC World which was bought by Mrs Bob as a 50th birthday present in 2004.

I have had no problems with it unless you count the time I picked up a virus and needed to do a complete factory reset to get rid of it.

I have increased the memory by installing memory sticks myself, it is a very good computer to use.

I would suggest staying away from the laptops and get a normal computer.

:tumblew eed:

MS BGX: Mistress Snakebite's operating system for BGX

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THE GEORDIE NATION

NO POT POURRI !
bgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:52   #16
numquata

numquata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisal View Post
Subtlety doesn't work with numquata

Mind like a razor, our Lisal
numquata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:42   #17
folly

folly is on a distinguished road

It depends what you want to do with it. For home use I'd go for a laptop - and anyone who says they have a two-year(ish) life is either dealing with a sub-standard product, using it for purposes it isn't set up for, or has the luxury of replacing it every two years... which most of us don't.

Mine's coming up to two years old. It's over-specced for what I use it for at the moment, but that was a deliberate decision on my part. It's a Dell, and I got to customise it online. I haven't had a single problem (touch wood).

It doesn't take long to get used to a laptop keyboard if you're used to a full keyboard. Just a bit like getting used to an unfamiliar phone. Your typing muscles soon adapt.

I have 4 TV channels at home currently, plus Freeview whenever I can be bothered to set it up, so the laptop doubles for iPlayer, 4oD etc., and since I'm resolutely a one TV person, the laptop enables me to watch stuff anywhere in the house or garden. Works for me!

Last edited by folly; 26-02-2011 at 16:20.
folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 20:12   #18
Wriggler

Wriggler is on a distinguished road

I've just gone for a laptop partly because of problems with my desktop which is 8 years old. Laptops seem to have come on a lot since then particularly the display.

I was flicking through the TV channels and noticed one of the shopping channels featured a laptop. I often home in on shopping channels featuring tech items because the explanations are easy to understand. Anyway it seemed to be more than adequate for my needs but I did a bit more research on the internet and found a very similar laptop by the same company for the same price but with a 3 year warranty included so I went for that. I've not had it long enough to really test it yet. As well As PC World there are various mail order companies like Mesh and laptops direct which are worth a look if only for comparison purposes.
Wriggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:57   #19
folly

folly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly View Post
It depends what you want to do with it. For home use I'd go for a laptop - and anyone who says they have a two-year(ish) life is either dealing with a sub-standard product, using it for purposes it isn't set up for, or has the luxury of replacing it every two years... which most of us don't.

Mine's coming up to two years old. It's over-specced for what I use it for at the moment, but that was a deliberate decision on my part. It's a Dell, and I got to customise it online. I haven't had a single problem (touch wood).

It doesn't take long to get used to a laptop keyboard if you're used to a full keyboard. Just a bit like getting used to an unfamiliar phone. Your typing muscles soon adapt.

I have 4 TV channels at home currently, plus Freeview whenever I can be bothered to set it up, so the laptop doubles for iPlayer, 4oD etc., and since I'm resolutely a one TV person, the laptop enables me to watch stuff anywhere in the house or garden. Works for me!
Re. above, and very definitely a security issue. Laptops have a greater tendency to go walkabout.... as I've just discovered.