UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > Scene News and Product/Vendor Reviews > Scene Events

View Poll Results: UKM next meet - You can select more than one option
Pub - London 20 76.92%
Fet Fair - London 4 15.38%
Pub Birmingham 1 3.85%
Fet Fair - Birmingham 5 19.23%
Elsewhere in the UK - please specify with reasons why 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 17:23   #1
JJ5

JJ5 is on a distinguished road
Default Members interaction

I think from general conversations with board members and Mistresses I have know over the years BDSM is ageless, those that get the bug can carry it there entire life.
With that thought in mind how do we get more social interaction, how do we appeal to the younger members I for one used to love lady Pandora’s munches these bought together like minded people from all over. Have we lost the drive that bought events like the charity canning?
It was good to meet those that attended Sunday’s LFF and great that Mistress Rouge and emanac made the journey from Birmingham also great to meet Mistress Deviant.
Would a UKM get together in Birmingham be worth exploring?
Interested in what others think.
Old 10-09-2012, 17:27   #2
subparman

subparman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5 View Post
would a ukm get together in birmingham be worth exploring?
yes, definitely.
Old 10-09-2012, 18:16   #3
Purple Phoenix

Default The next UKM get together

Reefy has already suggested another UKM get together and I have a few thoughts for discussion on the subject.

If the drinks at the LFF are so poor and if it is impossible to sit down unless we can go outside, it does rather beg the question as to why we are going there – particularly when it costs us all £5 a head for the privilege.

I would suggest that the next get together takes place in a normal pub. I realise that some people might find the lack of kink a bit boring and choose not to attend. On the other hand, I think their number could well be counterbalanced by those who would go to a pub but not to somewhere like the LFF. In addition, a pub opens up the possibility of meeting on a Saturday, thus making long distance travel somewhat easier.

This was semi-discussed yesterday and the pub with the posh loos in Chancery Lane was mentioned. It doesn’t really matter where it is but I personally don’t feel that the LFF or any of those venues are particularly conducive to a relaxed social get together. We could always alternate; kinky venue one time and pub the next.

As Reefy would say – discuss.

Just seen JJ5’s thread in DoI on roughly the same subject. So repeating what I have just posted there, how about a pub in London next time and the BBB for the one after that?

Last edited by Purple Phoenix; 10-09-2012 at 18:23.

Old 10-09-2012, 18:21   #4
Purple Phoenix

I have just posted in Scene Events and now found your post here JJ5. We are obviously thinking along the same lines.

Nothing wrong with Birmingham. Perhaps a pub in London next time and the BBB for the one after that?

Old 10-09-2012, 19:29   #5
reefknot

All it takes to trigger a UKM gathering is for two people to say "lets meet at"

Old 10-09-2012, 21:49   #6
Mistress Esme

Mistress Esme will become famous soon enoughMistress Esme will become famous soon enough

I will Defo make the next one.
Old 10-09-2012, 22:29   #7
Slutty Rimmer

Slutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura aboutSlutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Phoenix View Post
Reefy has already suggested another UKM get together and I have a few thoughts for discussion on the subject.

If the drinks at the LFF are so poor and if it is impossible to sit down unless we can go outside, it does rather beg the question as to why we are going there – particularly when it costs us all £5 a head for the privilege.

I would suggest that the next get together takes place in a normal pub. I realise that some people might find the lack of kink a bit boring and choose not to attend. On the other hand, I think their number could well be counterbalanced by those who would go to a pub but not to somewhere like the LFF. In addition, a pub opens up the possibility of meeting on a Saturday, thus making long distance travel somewhat easier.

This was semi-discussed yesterday and the pub with the posh loos in Chancery Lane was mentioned. It doesn’t really matter where it is but I personally don’t feel that the LFF or any of those venues are particularly conducive to a relaxed social get together. We could always alternate; kinky venue one time and pub the next.

As Reefy would say – discuss.

Just seen JJ5’s thread in DoI on roughly the same subject. So repeating what I have just posted there, how about a pub in London next time and the BBB for the one after that?
This makes sense.

There are those of us who are not scene players and would feel uncomfortable at a fetish event especially if a fetish dress code is imposed. A good pub would be a much more attractive proposition. Also, London is not at the geographical centre of the country which makes it quite a timely and costly expense for we up North. The internet has benefited the BDSM world due to it having no geographical boundaries which has helped to decentralise fetish away from London and help spread kink more evenly across the country. Perhaps meets would benefit from reflecting this ?

Having said that, I do like the sound of the London pub with posh bogs, especially if they have Molton Brown hand soap and those Dyson air blade hand driers.....hmmmm nice.

Kind Regards,
Rimmer

“You [Rimmer] are truly a master amongst masters...” Ex Nihilo, UK-M.

“Freedom only to speak inoffensivley is not worth having.”

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...e-judgment.pdf

“If a man can be a woman, there's no such thing as a woman.”

“LGBTQIA2S+ ? Everything after the B is either fake, fashion, or illness.”

Last edited by Slutty Rimmer; 11-09-2012 at 16:08.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27   #8
Lisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty Rimmer View Post
This makes sense.

There are those of us who are not scene players and would feel uncomfortable at a fetish event especially if a fetish dress code is imposed. A good pub would be a much more attractive proposition. Also, London is not at the geographical centre of the country which makes it quite a timely and costly expense for we up North. The internet has benefited the BDSM world due to it having no geographical boundaries which has helped to decentralise fetish away from London and help spread kink more evenly across the country. Perhaps meets would benefit from reflecting this ?

Having said that, I do like the sound of the London pub with posh bogs, especially if they have Moulton Brown hand soap and those Dyson air blade hand driers.....hmmmm nice.

Kind Regards,
Rimmer

The pub referred to is The Knights Templar. Having organised a munch or two there myself I would advise booking one of the upstairs areas. They sometimes close on Saturdays for dos so, even if the organiser decides not to book, I'd definitely check that they will be open

The loos are something else

As usual PP talks sense. I will do my level best to attend the next one in London. BBB sounds a good idea although when UKM was a much busier place I did try to get munches around the UK organised and there was very little enthusiasm for outside of London. Still times change and Birmingham is nice and central

Personally, I prefer a pub for the reasons PP lays out

Old 11-09-2012, 08:39   #9
celine62

celine62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ5 View Post
I think from general conversations with board members and Mistresses I have know over the years BDSM is ageless, those that get the bug can carry it there entire life.
With that thought in mind how do we get more social interaction, how do we appeal to the younger members I for one used to love lady Pandora’s munches these bought together like minded people from all over. Have we lost the drive that bought events like the charity canning?
It was good to meet those that attended Sunday’s LFF and great that Mistress Rouge and emanac made the journey from Birmingham also great to meet Mistress Deviant.
Would a UKM get together in Birmingham be worth exploring?
Sounds good to me!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11   #10
folly

folly is on a distinguished road

Work commitments mean that I'm unlikely to get to a general get-together in the short to medium term, so my comments are largely irrelevant.

There are people and friends I'll travel a distance to meet, and other occasions that will always be less of a priority. I like my meets with kink: LFF, LAM, BBB, etc. I like people-watching, the chance to have a look around admittedly often samey stalls, maybe watch a demo, and every so often splurge on new kit. I like the mix of people you get at a kinky meet: lifestylers, oddballs, familiar rogues, etc.

Pub meets can be fun too, and an occasion for subs to meet Dommes as well as fellow subs. But they can also often be about sitting around a table. At least at the LFF you pretty much have to stand (and chase around trying to secure a stool for your Domme!). Choice of drink doesn't worry me, and nor does cost, since I'll invariably be paying a sizeable train fare anyway (if I'm travelling, I want to enjoy myself; I'm not going to skimp).

I organised a northern munch once upon a time, which was small but beautifully formed, and attracted a majority of south-dwelling friends, including one dear stalwart who travelled over 200 miles. It was a shame I was ill with the beginnings of a severe chest infection, but I got through. It was a bigger shame that more 'northern' members didn't make it. Occasionally I go to the BBB with non-pro scene friends, and see another bunch of familiar faces. It's always somehow comforting, but also exciting, that beyond the drudge of the day (and night!) job, there's a refreshing world of kink. (!)

The Knights Templar is fine, and the loos spectacular, *when* they're working, and provided the drainage is too....