UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 08-04-2010, 17:07   #1
Lisal

Default Unauthorised picture

Looking for advice here folks - and thank you in advance

I've got someone who has a (tampered with) pic on someone else's site. She's done pictures for this site (that haven't been tampered with) and she understands that these are fair game but she wants this particular picture taken down. She's approached the site owner who has made all the right noises but left the pic up - it's been some time now

So what are her options? I think she could go to the host and complain? Is that right - and if so, how does she find who the host actually is? etc etc

And keep it simple please - both of us aren't exactly computer boffins

Last edited by Lisal; 08-04-2010 at 17:23.
Old 08-04-2010, 17:45   #2
derchris

derchris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
She's done pictures for this site
Normally, if you do these kind of things, there is a model release you both need to sign, in order to be able to publish the pictures.
If there is no model release, then the site owner has no right to use these pictures.
On the other hand, modifications are also part of this model release.

If none has been signed, then finding out the hosting company is very easy.
You got the HTTP address.
All you then do is a traceroute to that address, and in most cases it will show the hosting company own server just before it hits the website.
Use that as a hint to look for their general website.
It could be also that the Domain was actually registered with them, so check with a 'whois' service the details of the Domain.
Another way to find the hoster is a little bit more advanced.
If you take the IP address of the Domain, you can match it against the RIPE database, which will show you to which ISP this range belongs to.
Then you narrow it down from there.

Hope this doesn't sound too technical

If it does, feel free to send me a PM, and i will try to help.
derchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 19:44   #3
sub rob

sub rob will become famous soon enough

I guess it depends upon what kind of site the offending pic is on, is it on a personal website, or a portal type site, (a BDSM equivalent might be something like Pandemos or serious Mistresses, or Dommes and subs etc)

If the latter then she should contact the site owners and threaten legal action. Site like that are very quick to ban members who publish such material. I had a similar problem a few years back where some photos were taken of me in session without my consent, which when I complained the lady promised to destroy them but subsequently published them on a listings type site. It took ages to get them removed, but eventually when i escalated it to the site owners, pointed out they had no model release and threatened legal action, they banned the member!

If the former she will be reliant on the site hosting company playing ball, but that is who she should go to. As derchris says finding the host should be feasible. One thing she might try first though is to contact the webmaster initially and explain the action they propose to take and point out that a legal suit would mean the hosting company completely removing their site. Faced with the total loss of the site would the webmaster decide to cut their losses and comply? But otherwise you have to go direct to the hosting company, as they are the ones who would be liable should a legal action be taken. Generally the threat of such action should be enough.
sub rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 19:57   #4
Lisal

Thanks guys (derchris I have PM'd you)

To be clear, it's a pay site (not an individual domme's site) and the picture, which has been heavily doctored is on the free preview page (gawd knows what's on the pay bit). The site features a number of dommes and subs but is owned by an individual. The picture is a very old one and was (the bit that's real) made for another site owned by the same person. I'll have to check but I'm fairly certain that no model release was signed

The site owner is the webmaster and an initial approach has (as I said) fallen on stony ground.

I've done a bit of research based on what derchris has said and found that the host is in the US. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I assume to complain you email their "abuse line"

Thanks again

Last edited by Lisal; 08-04-2010 at 20:18.
Old 08-04-2010, 22:03   #5
derchris

derchris is on a distinguished road

Replied to your PM

And you could also "force" him to any actions, as I know that most of the Hosting companies do not tolerate any XXX content, so he could be in breach of their T&C.
But you would refrain from telling them, if he is going to remove that one picture
derchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:06   #6
stdavid

stdavid is on a distinguished road

Once happened to myself and my mistress, i have done 2 video/photos shoots with her, 1 with a big player and no problems and we signed a photo release form, the 2nd with someone who we sort of knew and he was hoping to set up a site etc and asked my mistress if she would like to do some promo work for him, well she then asked me and off we went, later on we moved on from him as he was a real pain in the arse only to find that later on he was using a pic of my mistress to advertise his new paysite, which was really bad, and my mistress did not want any links at all with him so i wrote a nice e mail asking for them to be taken off, he replied all nice asking how we were etc and saying no probs, a month or 2 later they were still there so i wrote a rather aggressive mail and lo and behold they went down the next day, one thing i have learned about video/photo shoots is they are fine and fun at the time but they can pop up anywhere and you have no control at all because you may never visit a site thet they are on and i will never ever do another shoot because of this, good luck and i hope all turns out well.
stdavid is offline   Reply With Quote