UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 11-11-2009, 22:30   #11
ropeslave

ropeslave is on a distinguished road

Lady Anna said

Quote:
It's also supposed to be the dog's man grapes when it comes to blocking viruses as well.
whether you have xp, Vista, windows 7 installed their is still a possiblity of getting virus's the reality is that virus will get through. Unless you regular update your computer with the latest virus serums and run regular virus checks then don't rely on windows 7 doing it for you, you will be prone to get a virus.

Quote:
I'm getting it put onto my laptop (another fugging virus has wiped it out again) so I'll let you know.
Either you have been unlucky or been to the same site that you picked up the last virus from...

Did the person you sorted out the last virus attack do a complete re install of the operating system, by that I mean a full reformat of the hard drive before re installing the operating system or did they use the manufacturers reinstall process or rescue disk???

If he did the manufactures reinstall then the virus may have been hiding in the system restore partion all along and not fully deleted, waiting for the operating system to be rebuilt.

When you bought the computer did you receive rescue disks seperatly or was the rescue disk hidden on your hard drive, and did you before you started to use your laptop create a back up of hidden files ???

A piece of good advice for any one buying a laptop from certain high street shops back up the rescue partition before going onto the internet or using it. It will in the long run save you money. If you are unsure ask them how to do it before you part with any cash better still ask them to create one for you...

Over the last few weeks I have had to replace 8 laptop hard drive' s for friends and relatives ... guess what they did not have the rescue disk's nor did they back up the contents of the rescue partion... so instead of taking about an hour (and then a further 6 to do all microsoft updates) dependent on the broad band speed, to do the 8 reinstall's it took on average 12 hours as I had to sort out the drivers for the machine's in question, and before any one says you could use the one's microsoft supply some of those would not work.

Ropeslave

ropeslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 20:42   #12
ropeslave

ropeslave is on a distinguished road

Just bought a new laptop 3 weeks ago which had vista installed and was informed I could have a free upgrade disk. When I contacted the laptop manufacturer I was informed that I would have to pay for postage and packing. The postage and packaging cost £12.98 .

The disk finally came from Ceska Republika (Czech Republic)

I know people who have paid £35 for an upgrade disk (postage and packing)

Ropeslave
ropeslave is offline   Reply With Quote