UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > The Oubliette

Old 22-02-2018, 09:22   #1
Criticalmass

Criticalmass is on a distinguished road
Default It came to me, as it comes to all

Yes I have reached that delicate age when Human Resources decided that it was economically more sound to retire me with a pension than it was for me to continue working. Of course the accounting division found this a wonderful opportunity to employ two graduates at less than two thirds of the cost of employing me.

The deal was selected replacements, get up and go quick, and we will hand you a considerable bonus as you walk through the door. So I did and they did.

I now find myself after a year and a half working on my private business, hypnosis, in real terms earning more money than I did when I was employed. Isn't that strange.

The downside is, it doesn't matter how well you prepare for leaving a place where you been well established for over 20 years of the day-to-day effect it has a you. Routine contact with other people, the banter and the chat. One of the things I've discovered is that working life regulates your diet, fortunately I have lost 10 kg since Christmas and have another 5 to go.

The positive things, blood pressure down, eczema gone, psoriasis gone, migraines reduced by 90%. Have now taken up walking again so I do 5 miles most mornings over rough ground with a 15kg rucksack (those with a military background will recognise this). Oyster card for retired persons i.e. free public transport.

The negative things reduced, interaction with other people, the ready availability of the Internet and chat sites, eating out for breakfast, lack of a pre-decided routine. The final comprehension that working colleagues are not friends and actually a lot of them do not like you and have no personal interest in you. Weight gain, but since reading a rather interesting book I have lost 8 kg since Christmas.

Fundamental changes. You never realise how stressful it was running a department until you walk away from it.

So I now have the time and ability to attend the UKM Munch if it still exists and spend all day upon occasion reading books enjoy rather than technical reports and journals.

In short ladies and gentlemen, I am free to be me. And that is rather scary!

Criticalmass
Old 22-02-2018, 13:38   #2
Lisal

Lisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to behold

Do you live on your own?

I know that when I retired early - even though I had six months to prepare for it it was still a huge shock. I am on my own and all of a sudden, overnight, you lose quite a bit of your social world and routine. I joined things - became a volunteer, used the gym more etc etc. I amlucky in that I live in a place people like to visit so, especially in the summer, I got and get a steady trickle of visitors.

I also live very close to where herself is so I can get in extra and, on occasions, off the cuff sessions.

It took me a while to settle but now I'm very happy - my personal circumstances have changed and I am in a no strings, don't live together relationship which is nice. And I have my routine -I need routine!

Enjoy - and look forward to seeing you at the munch
Lisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 16:00   #3
geordiesouth

geordiesouth will become famous soon enoughgeordiesouth will become famous soon enough

Retirement will not suit everyone and I am well aware of some of my ex colleagues who will hang onto employment for as long as they can. Not because of money, because of the fear of having nothing to do.

It was easy for me. I like doing nothing.

I’m quite comfortable with my own company too, yet find it very easy to strike up conversations with anyone and everyone.

Yes you might find out that some of the pals you had throughout your working life and environment....... were actually just employment place friends. No matter, make some more.
Buy a horrendously expensive car that you have trouble getting in and out of and pretend your someone your not.

Life’s just a prelude to something after.
Reincarnation....... now let me see. Would I rather be or a wasp.
Old 22-02-2018, 16:02   #4
geordiesouth

geordiesouth will become famous soon enoughgeordiesouth will become famous soon enough

Oh I forgot.

And find yourself a GG.
Old 22-02-2018, 18:37   #5
reefknot

As I keep telling my boss 70 weeks and counting
Old 23-02-2018, 10:36   #6
Barstool

Barstool is on a distinguished road

Funny enough recently I found myself, thinking about how I would feel if I packed up working, conclusion....awfull and perhaps a tad useless....I was driving back from a working night stop over in Jezmond, as GS suggests in my new car, which I love and realised I wouldn`t need such a car should I finish working, that made me feel more depressed.

However, an active mind will always seek our fulfilment and like CM, everyone I know that has jumped off the roundabout makes the same comment, "don`t know how I found the time to work"....adapting to what and where you are is key.

Still got a few years yet though, I`m hoping
Old 23-02-2018, 11:04   #7
geordiesouth

Like Lisal, I packed up working at my employment place very early. Simply cos I worked things out that way. I’ve always had other private stuff that brought in the shekels (Homes under the hammer anyone)

But as of now I just can’t be bothered to busy myself.

Made me think though. Those poor sods who for one reason or another, dread the thought of retirement just because they can’t afford it.
A good mate of mine must have made a mint over the years. Yet does he have any in the coffers. No he doesn’t and looks forward to working till he drops. So to speak.

Retirement........ not for everyone.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:01   #8
posh-sub

posh-sub will become famous soon enoughposh-sub will become famous soon enough

Retirement is absolutely great for those with plenty of interests outside the workplace. For those who do not - it is hell and often fatal.

GS (like most of us on here, I suspect) has plenty of outside interests and so will thrive in the new freedom.

Good luck, mate! And i'll see you at the munch.

Peace & Love
poshie
posh-sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 16:57   #9
ex nihilo

ex nihilo is on a distinguished road
Default Back to the future...

Pretty soon retirement or lack of a job will come to practically everyone who does not play an active role in the knowledge economy. Artificial intelligence whether through the robotisation of manufacturing processes , 3-D printing and automation of the service industry will simply crunch jobs. The problem is that longevity will continue to push up the age when a person becomes entitled to state retirement benefits and unemployment makes no provision for company pensions. So, a lot of folk might have to make do with universal basic income (a la Finland) if that is affordable public spending. Not likely in high population countries, though.

Basically, if you are not working at the coal face, developing innovation, treating patients, cutting hair or preparing food etc you might soon be on a down ride. Spending all day sitting in offices, peering at screens, answering irrelevant emails and attending so called meetings is not productive, does not add value and is not going to cut it going forward.

We are entering a time where everything is possible but little is affordable. Think NHS. But there will be plenty of scope for being happy in our own skin, but probably in a less is more doable fashion…
Old 23-02-2018, 22:21   #10
geordiesouth

Ex.......you just mentioned something close to my heart.

No matter what job I found myself in..... and in those early days of coming to London. Digging up ballast on the permanent way

My dad always told me it was kids work.

Hands like shovels he had.....face worker. Hard as nails and soft as shit. Bless.